Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jerusalem and Judea and Samaria

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28: 19-20

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1: 8

The words Jesus left us with after his resurrection but before his ascension.

We know we are to go and take the gospel. In Acts he tells us 'how' to go... he gives us a game plan. A how-to. Actually, this design in reaching out to others constitutes a life plan. Jerusalem first, then spread out to Judea. Then a little further to Samaria, then to the ends of the earth.

In light of our last week, this helps me. Jesus' plan put legs to my desire to help others. My Jerusalem is my immediate and extended family. My Judea is my faith family, Bible Study girls, dear friends and friends of theirs, neighbors and neighborhoods nearby. My Samaria is Tuscaloosa and Phil Campbell and Birmingham and Mississippi and beyond. For such a time as this...

Sometimes taking the gospel means taking food and clothing and gas and generators and cash. Yesterday in Bible Study we made several lists of needs. And we made several game plans for the next few weeks. One list, shared here, helped me so much to hear God's call for immediate service. I hope it helps you.

Here are places to serve and what's needed right now:
Manna House needs volunteers.
First Baptist is still taking volunteers.
Monrovia Community Center is organizing volunteers.
There is a great need for blood. Blood drives are being organized all over and always at the Red Cross Headquarters.
Families need hot meals.
$25 gift cards are most welcome from Kroger, WalMart, Home Depot and Lowe's. $25 gas cards are a huge help. You can drop cash cards at any of the above places or to Commissioner Dale Strong on Highway 53.
Carpentry skills are highly sought.
Generators.
Clean clothes
are desperately needed - some people are wearing generously donated clothes and have to discard them because they have no means of cleaning. Make a call requesting Tide's "Loads of Love" to come to our area.

Go, in His Name and serve.

No comments: