Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Power!

I want to thank everyone for your prayers and concern for me, my family, our area, our city and our state. For your text messages, calls, emails, relayed messages, and offers of hot showers and the luxury of power. We are okay, grateful, humbled and blessed.
~ ~ ~
I spent Wednesday morning in the church basement with a handful of Bible Study girls. Knowing nothing except school was to get out early and the worst was still to come, we prayed for what we all would face later in the day. I left there in total peace. It has been a testimony to me what pre-prayer can do. Through wave upon wave of storm (we had hail three times), I continued to think back on those earlier prayers and the peace that passes all understanding never left me. After the last storm was over, we knew we had been spared... and grim reality the next morning proved us right. Our area was one of the hardest hit.

The next morning I woke up at 5:30. It should have been pitch black dark but there was a eerie light that got my attention. Looking out the window I saw a law enforcement vehicle in my driveway with blue lights blinking warning. I threw on sweats and rain boots over my pajamas and walked outside to investigate. Trees had fallen, lines were down, and utility poles were hovering dangerously close to falling. The deputy told me that we were expecting a power loss for 5-7 days. Now they are saying it is more like 10.

Here's what I'm thinking...
I hardly know how to live without power. Electric power. I forgot my home phones have to be plugeed in to their chargers. I have been shocked at what I've missed most - first, my hairdryer, then coffee maker and vacuum cleaner. I never thought I'd be so grateful for a generator, but I forgot they run on gas. I never thought loss of power could result in a dusk-to-dawn curfew. I never thought I'd be so grateful for my Kindle and battery operated book light.

And here's what else I'm thinking...
God's power just trumped man's. He showed us how powerful His power is and how flimsy is ours. And this...

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3: 20-21

I have God's power at work within me and I rarely give it a thought. I am frustrated over frizzy hair, but not grieved over the dormant, rarely-if-ever tapped power of God residing within me. I've got it all backwards. You? I want to hear your 'power' stories. Bless you all and please continue to pray for those with devastating losses.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Ephesians 6: 10

1 comment:

Katy Forester Brooks said...

Thanks for bringing out the spiritual power aspect! Hope you get your hair dryer soon!