Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Blog Exercise #7

Write a link post.

Someone asked Darren Rowse (the author of this Build a Better Blog series) how readership was built at first on his blog. One of the answers he gave was that he was generously linking to other blogs. Seven years ago blogging revolved around the link. One blogger would write a post and hundreds of others would link to it with posts that built upon the initial post’s ideas in some way. The result:
* Ideas spread across the blogosphere quickly
* Relationships between bloggers grew with each link
* Everyone’s blog grew
Nowadays Facebook and Twitter have taken over the social networking role and bloggers rarely link to other blogs on their blog because they’re either doing it elsewhere or they feel they’d be helping a competitor. Me... I'm still terrified of Facebook and Twitter and would love to let you know what I read weekly.

I have found that I am not alone in the fact that my evenings are spent catching up on emails and blog posts. While Ben is watching football and hunting shows, I sit right beside him on the couch and read blogs.

First, I check in with Sweet Mondays, to snag new pictures of Anna and Caroline.
I have to see what Shay Brannon 's thoughts are, To See the Nations Worship, and also Olivia's (Shay's daughter) ongoing recap, Chronic Collegiate Senioritis.
Dedra Herod's Just a Chick has one of the best blog rolls ever titled Love These Voices and includes The Preacher's Wife, I'm Just Saying, and A Holy Experience.
Beth Moore's blog is great. She calls her readers 'siestas' because at the beginning she was writing ' dear sistas', as in 'sisters', and the internal spell check inadvertently changed it, ha!
Style Blueprint gives me my hometown Nashville fix and is a blog award winner.
Tina Adams really helps my pitiful wardrobe skills. This girl is good!
Nancy Franke's Musings on Painting inspires me.
Joel Rosenberg teaches me.
Voice of the Martyrs keeps me out of my comfort zone.
Ligonier makes me want to read and take anything RC Sproul teaches.
Urban Grace makes me want to redo my house.

Are you a blog reader too? Please send me some of your favorites!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I look at the following most days at lunch - spend all day at the computer and don't want to at night:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/ to keep me on my financial goals.

http://unclutterer.com/ to keep me encouraged to keep my spaces organized - it makes a difference!

http://www.kellehampton.com/ just a fantastic blog by a woman with two small children, one with Down's. One of those perfect moms/wives who do it all and yet you really want to be her friend.

http://www.seriouseats.com/ love it.

http://www.lovethatmax.com/ Written by a mom of a special needs kid, usually good suggestions and ideas and encouragement.

And of course, Coffee, Tea and Thee and so glad it's being updated more often!

Suzanne Matthews said...

Lesley - I love that you are a fellow blog reader... and I love your blog list! I can't wait to look at every single one... thanks!