Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My List Post

Gifts: Top Five Faves

I love gift giving. It is one of my love languages. Better than receiving, I like to give gifts... especially little gifts, treats and surprises, in fabulously wrapped packages. Yet, sometimes I draw a total blank, run out of ideas, run out of time (or money), or simply do not know the recipient very well. That is when I default to my trusty list of best gifts ever. Here are favorites in no particular order to give you ideas for your next occasion.

Wedding Gifts

1. Michael Aram - any piece at all; Harpeth Gallery in Nashville, The Registry in Franklin
2. An oil painting - especially for the kitchen
3. McCarty Pottery - worth a trip to The Gallery in Monteagle, Tennessee
4. Monogrammed pillowcases - Sarah got two sets, I was so envious!
5. Southern My Way by Gena Knox - my new favorite cookbook, tie a Rosti spoon or two on top

Birthday Gifts

1. Tin birthday cake carrier by Department 56; on ebay, everywhere I take mine I get compliments!
2. Tea towels - by Le Jacquard Francais; Lawren's
3. Leather jewelry roll - from Pottery Barn; find someone who does leather stamping to add a monogram
4. Lafco candles - the best! Named for rooms in the house - try Master Bedroom, Power Room or Den
5. Tervis tumbler - everyone needs one!

Baby Gifts

1. Sleep Sheep - babies love the sounds and it's cuddly
2. Bla Bla knit stuffed animals - whimsical, fun, and for lots of babies I know this is their favorite hold-onto
3. Little Giraffe blanket - the softest there is
4. Sleep sack - I've bought several and they come in three weights and 2 sizes; Helen's in Nashville
5. Judy Toles' taggies and burp pads - adorable!

Sympathy Gifts
This is where I use my list often... when I am always caught off guard and always in a hurry!

1. Apricot pound cake - I keep a yellow box cake mix and apricot nectar on hand just for this recipe
2. Books - you can't go wrong with these - Good Grief; A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis; A Year with C.C. Lewis, devotional; The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion; Moments with the Savior by Ken Gire, Recovering from Losses in Life
3. Roses - take a clay pot you already have, put in a big cube of soaked oasis, buy roses and galax leaves, cut roses short, overlap galax leaves around the edge, stick roses in side by side starting in center(use an odd number), and there you go!
4. Paper plates & napkins - always appreciated and needed
5. Handkerchief - include a verse about tears... The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces Isaiah 25:8

... and finally Things that fit in a card
Sometimes you just want to send a card with a little extra.
1. Bookmark

2. Cross - there are lots of little ones that fit in an envelope
3. Starbucks gift card - $5 treats your friend to a cup of coffee or tea on you
4. Thymes bath salts - they come in an envelope that easily fits ion an envelope
5. Gigi’s Cupcakes gift card - $3 and delicious

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this! You really are the best person I know at giving gifts!

Shay Brannon said...

Yay!! Great ideas!!

Cornelia said...

this is great,, thanks!!!