Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Backwards Battle

To my knowledge I have never had a consistent battle strategy in my life. Oh, I’ve put on the armor from Ephesians 6, sometimes quite rusty, but never have I had a strong studied strategy. I’m getting one now.

That’s why I can’t quit thinking about the pre-incarnate Christ meeting with Joshua just before the first battle at Jericho. It is a Theophany in Scripture - a manifestation of God that is tangible to the human senses, often in human form. Jesus shows up on the pages of Joshua (chapter 5) with two penetrating lessons that preface all our battle plans and form the foundation to a real battle strategy.

The first – He is Commander of the Lord’s Armies. Make sure it is His battle.I have gone into many battles backwards. What I mean is that I either angrily walk into a battle unprepared, or I’m blind-sided by a battle, or I’m reluctantly forced into battle. Then, in the middle of the fight I tire, I lose my focus, or I get scared. At that point I run to God begging Him to join my fight and let me win. Is anybody with me on this? We’ve got it backwards. We rally God for our own causes; we claim God for our side. Jesus makes it perfectly clear: the whole point was not for Joshua to claim God, but for God to claim Joshua.

The second – He is Commander of the Lord’s Armies. Look for the army.He has an army. He makes sure we know there are unseen invisible armies battling for God’s causes. God’s children are God’s causes. I needed to be reminded of that today. Some days my greatest comfort is that I have God’s army around me and the Commander of that army ahead of me.

For the last six weeks I hope I’ve been building a strong foundation for a battle strategy. Psalm 84 in the NLT has been a delight to me and a place of prayer. The psalmist cries out to the Lord of Heaven’s Armies for strength. From my heart to yours, here it is...

Psalm 84
(New Living Translation)
1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
O LORD of Heaven’s Armies.
2 I long, yes, I faint with longing
to enter the courts of the LORD.
With my whole being, body and soul,
I will shout joyfully to the living God.
3 Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young
at a place near your altar,
O LORD of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God!
4 What joy for those who can live in your house,
always singing your praises.
5What joy for those whose strength comes from the LORD,
who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
6 When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,
it will become a place of refreshing springs.
The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.
7 They will continue to grow stronger,
and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem.
8 O LORD God of Heaven’s Armies, hear my prayer.
Listen, O God of Jacob.

9 O God, look with favor upon the king, our shield!
Show favor to the one you have anointed.
10 A single day in your courts
is better than a thousand anywhere else!
I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.
11 For the LORD God is our sun and our shield.
He gives us grace and glory.
The LORD will withhold no good thing
from those who do what is right.
12 O LORD of Heaven’s Armies,
what joy for those who trust in you.

No comments: