Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Three Moms

A shout-out to three mothers today – two on this earth and one in heaven. I want to officially, on-the-record, thank God for giving me my mother and my mother-in-law. As we wind up our Joshua study, we are doing a lot of talking about inheritances. I began thinking of things my mother left me. Everyone says I have her smile, and I got my blue eyes from her too. Here are a few others…





  • we became Christians at the same time (another story) and I got a dose of her faith which inspires me even today


  • I got the ‘Green gene’ which is a pouch of tummy fat, which never goes away no matter how little you weigh, and unfortunately my girls got it too


  • somehow I got how she took the good with the bad


  • I got her unbelievable recipe file stuffed to the gills and her address book that had more notes, prayers and grocery lists in it than addresses


  • I got a good array of her little sayings, like ‘stuffed to the gills’ and ‘laid out among the sweet peas’ and ‘pretty is as pretty does’, but there’s no way I could ever remember them all


  • I got some of her loyalty; that you stick by people you love and ‘blood is thicker than water’


  • I got her pointy finger and mouth full of opinions


  • I got a box of handkerchiefs my father brought her from all over the world


Mom, I hope Jesus tells you that I love everything I got!



And my mother-in-law, Bee, leaves me little tidbits every time I talk to her, such as…





  • her dedication to family and how she hangs in there with all of us and love us no matter what


  • her interest in the everyday things like good books and hair cuts and clothes and what’s going on in Bible study


  • her utmost loyalty to Big Ben and how she has always put her marriage first


  • I want her prayer life – for putting off sleep each night to pray for all 26 of us


  • she taught me that ‘it’s all about the food’ and once you get the food figured out and if it tastes good, you’ve got it made


  • I will never forget that God put me with her on the very day He called me out from a 14-year teaching ministry – she knows my heart


  • and her clothes – I love it when she raids her closet and some end up on me!









  • I said three mothers. A big shout of praise for you, Molly. Mother of this angel.


    And for all the Wednesday girls who are mothers of young children. I love to watch you and listen to you. I love how you make it a top goal to be a good mother; how you sacrifice everything, especially your hearts; how you take pictures and videos to preserve the memories; how you let your little ones be themselves instead of what you think they should be; how you read stories and get in the floor and play mamma and baby shark; how you empty your pocketbooks; how you climb into bed only to get up in the middle of the night continually; how you rack your brain to think of birthday party ideas; how you say their prayers at night then fall asleep praying for them…


I could go on and on... what is one of your favorite things you got from your mother?

A great big shout out today to mothers – be richly blessed, for you are such a blessing!!

2 comments:

Molly Turner said...

I laughed out loud when you said you got Mimi's "pointy finger" because as I was reading I was thinking "and lets not forget all the pointing" ha!

Thanks for the special "shout-out" to me. Anna makes life as a mother such fun.. but I couldn't do it without our 500 phone calls a week!! LOVE YOU!!

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day too. Wish I could have been there!

Molly

Lesley Burnette said...

Hey I got the Green tummy pouch too and we're not even related!

I got my Mom's gorgeous red hair, although oddly enough her came from a L'Oreal bottle (even before I was born).