Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Low Points

I can't quit thinking about Joshua after Moses died. Surely this had to be one of the lowest points in Joshua's life. I think the absolute lowest point was after the defeat at Ai when 36 men were killed and Israel was run all the way back to camp in utter defeat. But right after Moses died - that low point had to be right up there.

I wonder how many of you have been in a place like that. Not necessarily a Moses, but someone moves out of the picture, and it becomes your task to move in. You didn't feel ready, your heart wasn't in it, you were still grieving - but God said so, so you did.

I don't think Joshua thought he was ready for the task God set before him. Yet, when God handed over the reins, Joshua obediently took them. Terrified, discouraged, shaky, with little strength - we hear no complaint from Joshua; the only dialog is deep encouragement from God. There is no one else in this exchange – no Caleb, no family member, no officer or soldier. Just God and Joshua.

From this study, I have started looking around at Bible study and at church and in meetings, and listening more intently on phone calls and through texts and emails - noticing the Joshua's. Those who I know are at low points in their own private struggles, yet simply and quietly cling to and obey God. I'm thinking more and more about the Joshua's in my life. I want to know what you are thinking about....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great book selections. Looking forward to the read. My first choice: Forgotten God:Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Sylvia