Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Guarding Marriages

Over the last few weeks I have become increasingly burdened over marriages. It started with a heavy conversation, followed by another sad conversation, tears and heartbreak. As I was writing the Nourishment devotional, I included a section on guarding our bodies, the temples of God's Holy Spirit. 'Guarding' has been on my mind. Finally, through a God-led sequence of thoughts, I was led to review my 2011 prayer journal. I was shocked at how many marriages I've been praying for - including my own and those of my children.

The reason I am burdened is because I believe marriages are exposed. Sitting targets. Our unguarded flank. Think about it: we guard everything! Millions of dollars are spent on guarding things... our bank accounts, our computer files, our cars and houses and belongings, our children. I can hardly think of anything that is not guarded... except my marriage. I came to the conclusion that we are attempting to guard our family from a variety of potential future occurrences such as natural disasters, terrorism, or the collapse of America - but are leaving our marriage wide open for attack!

Here's my question... How are you guarding your marriage? Please let me know - let us all know. And if guarding your marriage is a new thought, like it is for me, well then... What do you believe would guard your marriage?

Ask your friends, co-workers, parents, couples with great marriages, couples you are praying for, and see what they say. I'm making a list of what people tell me and I am learning so much. I'll post the list later, but ladies, this is one hot topic!

3 comments:

Lancasters said...

prayer and datenights

Adams said...

Prayer, date nights, lots of communication and focusing on my own family!

Melissa M said...

prayer, datenights, celebrating our personal anniversaries....like our first date, the date he proposed, trips we take every year