Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pride and Selfishness and Tomorrow

Pride and Selfishness:
This week I’m going to mix things up a bit. I’ve listed seven discussion questions below in the Discussion segment. I’ve then followed the questions with some of my answers as commentary. Let my comments get you started, then please follow with yours. I’m waiting (trying not to be impatient or anxious) to hear what is in your heart regarding these two chapters. They were tough!
And tomorrow: Check the blog again tomorrow! I know some of you sign on only on Thursdays, but I have something important to tell you and ask you and it’s too long for today’s post.

Discussion for Chapters 11 & 12:
1. To what kind of people did Jesus tell the parable of the self-righteous Pharisee? Why is this significant to us? (See Luke 18: 9.)

2. What convicted you in Chapter Eleven on Pride?

3. What is the root of our selfishness? (See Genesis 3: 1-6; Jeremiah 17: 9; Hosea 6: 7 and Ephesians 2: 3.)

4. Your conversations can reveal clues regarding pride and selfishness. As you converse with others, do you truly listen and empathize, or do you tend to shift the conversation to your own stories and interests? Remind yourself of an example or two, followed by your thoughts on how God probably wanted you to behave.

5. What do your calendar and checkbook reveal about selfishness in your life?

6. The title of the book is: Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins we Tolerate. I know you are confronting sins never thought of before. How are you dealing with them? What Scriptures and others measures are you taking to reduce their power?

7. Do you fully believe at the end of this study your heart will be more clean, more pure and closer to God?

My thoughts:
1. To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down upon everybody else... I’m quite sure this verse was never in the Bible before today. It is significant because it has pierced my heart and I know I’ve been quite confident of my own righteousness, rather than on my knees in gratitude for His righteousness given to me. Another sin to add to my list in the back of my book.

2. Two things. I was convicted of moral superiority in the political arena. It’s not a ‘sometimes’ sin; it’s an ‘everyday’ sin. Or should I say an every night sitting by the tv sin. What got me as the actual sin of it was what Mr. Bridges called a resultant spirit of contempt toward others. Secondly, I was so convicted of the pride of an independent spirit. I pride myself in being independent… doesn’t that just say it all! Am I going to have to change my entire personality? And an unteachable attitude stood out to me. I remember Beth Moore, in one of her studies or maybe on her blog, stating to teachers to watch out!... surely we are not the only voice we listen to!

3. Me, myself and I. I am pondering Jeremiah 17: 9 in three translations…
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? NIV
The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? NLT
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? ESV

4. Guilty as charged. I am only answering this to myself.

5. My calendar reveals I am too busy; I always have some kind of project going; I spend much more time on God’s work than with God Himself; and I may say I like unfilled days, but too many blank days and I’m antsy.
My checkbook reveals I like to eat (gluttony has been on my list since the beginning). Every month there is a donation or two, but not enough in number and certainly not enough in amount to even wince over.

6. I thought I’d never get through the ‘Pride’ chapter. I was so burdened by my sin in every direction, in every area. One stormy afternoon I took my list and one-by-one went through each sin, naming it and confessing it to God. Then, I asked His forgiveness for each one (I John 1: 9). Then, I asked for a repentant heart and began to choose to repent, one-by-one. With some I’m just barely even recognizing them as sins, and some I’ve moved on to applying Scripture to them like ointment and bandage. This week I’m hoping to adopt Ezra’s attitude:

At the time of the sacrifice, I stood up from where I had sat in mourning with my clothes torn. I fell to my knees and lifted my hands to the LORD my God. I prayed,
“O my God, I am utterly ashamed; I blush to lift up my face to you. For our sins are piled higher than our heads, and our guilt has reached to the heavens. From the days of our ancestors until now, we have been steeped in sin. That is why we and our kings and our priests have been at the mercy of the pagan kings of the land. We have been killed, captured, robbed, and disgraced, just as we are today.
Ezra 9: 5-7 NLT

7. I’m holding on to this promise in Philippians 1: 6 with everything I’ve got:
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

For July 29:
Skip Chapter 13 – we’ll read it later.
Read Chapters 14, 15 & 16.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Ugh, I just hate being reminded of my worst faults. I interrupted someone today to tell them what I wanted them to know about *me*.

I'm going to work on my response, but I also wanted to recommend a great book which has been very meaningful to me on this issue of pride (and subsequent judgmentalism). It took me weeks just to get through the first couple of chapters. It's called "12 Steps for a Recovering Pharisee (Like Me)" by John Fischer. It's all about getting rid of our own self-righteousness (the root of pride) and embracing the great grace shown to us and expressing that through gratitude.

You can get it at amazon.com.

It would be a fantastic follow-on read if you would like to get some more encouragement in overcoming pride.

Lesley said...

If you click on my name in the above post (or this one) it will take you to the amazon.com site for the book.

Shay Brannon said...

I think I want to start with question 7 first! Guess I wanted to be encouraged that at the end of the study I WOULD have a cleaner heart. The good news before the bad news! Oh, dear. Is that prideful or what?? Wanting to make sure I'm being sucessful? Ugh.

But I do know that I am beginning to be more sensitive to my sin, the sin of the culture, and the sins within the church. One of the reasons why I know my heart is being plowed up is a verse I read in conjunction with another study I'm involved in.
Genesis 18:20 The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grevious that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached Me.

I just wept when I read that verse. The thought that my sin could be so grevious to Him and that the horror of my own sin would reach the very halls of heaven made me stop and beg God for mercy for my culture and for my own heart. I'm not sure if I've ever lumped all my respectable sins in that grevious category until now and it has made me remorseful and repentant. So, yes, I think I will be at least a little closer to God when I'm finished with this study. Praise!

More later!

Pam Graves said...

I have been backtracking from vacation to catch up. Something has either challenged, ministered, or inspired me in every chapter.

The biggest nugget in the chapter regarding pride of achievement was the desire for recognition I have.

Often, I think, we carry from childhood, insecurities that, until we choose to believe and walk in our identity in Christ, seek to fulfill those insecurities in worldly or earthly ways...namely for me: recognition. Me looking for someone else to validate who I am.

This process can be weary especially with kids as they have to grow up a long time before they can encourage or affirm you as mother. Just this week we were searching for last year's cleats, hoping they would fit, for our first football practice.

Finding them in the attic, my son said "Whew", which was followed up by my plea for recognition..."You're the greatest mom in the whole world...I don't know what I would do without you.."

Sometimes I justify my antics by calling it "training"....modeling how to encourage.

The truth to walk in is the Father calls me "beloved" just because of who He is..not because of anything I have achieved. And that is recognition enough to be valued and crazily loved by the Creator of heaven and earth.

So may I forever say, in every area of my life, "I have only done my duty," from Luke 17:10 (page 96 in book)