Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Remedy for Sin

The remedy for our sins, whether scandalous or acceptable,
is the gospel in its widest scope.
Respectable Sins
, Chapter 4

I have to admit, I’m stuck on Chapter 4. I have been pondering two brand-new thoughts for days.

Firstly, pages 34 – 36 (hardback copy) are almost totally yellow with highlights. What has me on my knees is the second use of the gospel: that not only does the gospel prepare me to face my sins, it frees me up to do so. When I know that my sin is forgiven, I can better look at what is awful. I can better face it and knowing it is forgiven, I’m more willing to address it – instead of hiding it from myself. I am comforted. Never before have I seen this wonderful work of forgiveness! Jerry Bridges is right… the gospel energizes me to deal with it!

Secondly, have any of you ever preached the gospel to yourselves? I love that!
If I ever have, it has been in my car driving to BSF or in preparation for a lecture - never to preach it to myself as the recipient of the grace and forgiveness the gospel holds. What a marvelous door the gospel has just opened for me – to know the gospel well enough to preach it to myself, and apply Scripture to the preaching of it, as well as to the assurances the gospel brings. One of the things I’m going to do in my quiet time this week is come up with my own set of Scriptures for a private gospel preaching to Suzanne. If anyone decides to do the same, will you share some of your Scripture choices with me?

Fast-forward to Chapter 6. Not that Chapter 5 isn’t packed full, it is. But, my brain is in over-drive. Mr. Bridges suggests we digest Chapter 6 before moving on and I’ve got some re-reading to do.

Discussion:
Answer each question and choose any or all to comment on the blog.

1. I said I was stuck on Chapter 4. Where have you been stuck? Why?

2. The moment we receive salvation through Christ, what does God do for us regarding the guilt and reigning power of sin? (See Romans 6: 1-2 and Colossians 1: 13-14.)

3. What hinders us from recognizing our sin? (See Romans 6: 12.)

4. How does the truth that God has forgiven our sin free us to honestly and humbly face our sin?

5. Write out 1 John 1: 9 on an index card and memorize.

6. Keep working on your own personal list of ‘respectable’ sins. What sins, if any, did you add to your list from someone else’s list posted on the blog comments?

Prayer suggestion from the Discussion Guide:
Invite God to give you a heart that longs to be in intimate relationship with Him – and to promptly confess your sins as His Spirit makes you aware of them.

For July 8:
Read Chapters 7 and 10.

As you read think this through:Do you agree or disagree that ungodliness is “apt to be the root cause of our other sins” and that each of us is guilty of this sin?

Keep the comments coming! I know that I am learning from each of you and your thoughts and insights are sharpening mine!

6 comments:

Lesley Burnette said...

1. I said I was stuck on Chapter 4. Where have you been stuck? Why?

Chapter 4 also. Because I left my book at work and keep forgetting to bring it home and read some more. :)

Honestly, my pages 34-36 are green with highlighting. Thin and thick. I am "guilty" of thinking that the gospel applies to me in a one-time way only. It's very exciting to think of the gospel with an every day application.

I can't WAIT to share this with my boys in Sunday School. We review the gospel nearly weekly, but I want to find a way to teach them this way of thinking. As they enter High School, I want them to recognize their respectable sins. Although sadly at their age the sins aren't just respectable, they are what gets them respect. If only I could teach them, and myself, that the respect of people who admire those sins is not worthy.

I'll post my other thoughts when I finish the other chapters!!

Michelle V said...

Chapter 4 had been HUGE for me. I am stuck there and will be for a while. I plan on putting scripture together this weekend... and have like Suzanne said a private preaching of the gospel to Michelle. I need it. It seems like the Lord has had a repeated theme for me this summer. A theme of grace. pg 35 spoke in a big way to my heart!. It was such a healing thing to realize that God is not on His throne watching and saying "When are you going to get your act together?" but instead He has forgiven and is coming alongside me saying, "We are going to work on that sin, meanwhile I want you to know that I no longer count it against you." He is no longer my judge. He is my loving Father.

The hymn Rock of Ages has become even more precious to me. I think I might make a copy of it and stick in my Bible.

I have added momentary pleasures, to my list... yuck!

Lord show me my sin!

Annewhite said...

My copy of chapter four is covered in purple marker. :) The reassurances and comfort throughout the chapter are exactly what I need just now. As my world changes, I need the reminder that God remains the same and is still in charge of all things.

Dr.Bridges guidance to prayer and to the Gospel will be a blessing to me. I know I will read this book more than once.

Knowing that God fights with me against my sin is such a strengthening truth. With his help, the examples of Jesus,and the push of the Spirit, I can go forward and clean up the "little" messes I am leaving in this world. I can do these things only because of God.

My list begins with procrastination and will grow regularly, if I stay the path.

Shay Brannon said...

*I love thinking about the subject of freedom to face my sin on our country's freedom weekend! But national freedom doesn't even come close to the precious freedom we have in Christ in knowing that the forgiveness of sin is a done deal. His spiritual war on the cross was so much more and the cost is immeasurable. He defeated my arch enemy, Satan, and even gave me the power to eventually defeat my constant enemy, my own flesh.
*Chapter 6 is perfect for my personality type! Bridges just puts it down in understandable directional format of what I have to do to deal with my sins. Each step is precious to me and he explains it in a way that gives me hope and reminds me of the power I have in Christ. The first "step" he gives is the one that I am continually thinking about. Never thought to do this in dealing with sin:
APPLY THE GOSPEL. Awesome how he addresses this in chapter
4. And the expansion of the gospel in my life has been a significant growth area for me. I'm with Lesley. I need to share this with others!!

Kkelly said...

I liked all three of these chapters for different reasons. Chapter 5 was a powerful reminder of the very active role the Holy Spirit takes in our lives. I especially need the HS to expose my sins for what they are, whether it us exposing an action as a sin or mitigating the seriousness of it, as Bridges said toward the end of the chapter. I also liked the step by step in chapter 6. I particularly liked the ideas of "storing up" scripture verses --works well for me since I like to write verses on cards anyway as reminders, now I can target my sins with these verses and place the cards in physical locations where I might be likely to find myself tempted to sin. It was insightful to me when he said we need to examine areas where we are likely to engage in sins-- I can see patterns in my behavior now!

What hinders me from recognizing my sin is being caught up in the moment--I can usually look back in hindsight and recognize what I have done but it is hard to identify in an instant.

Can't wait for chapters 7 and 10. I also enjoyed the verses in the study questions this week!

Pam Graves said...

I probably enjoyed chapter five the most. It settles well with me to know that the Father loves me enough to not leave me hanging on my own trying to figure out how to handle sin. He has sent His indwelling spirit which guides and works in my life even when I am unaware.

I am not sure all the truth of this has really settled way down deep. It's like a gift that keeps on giving. Have you noticed too that it's never a harsh reprimand but a gentle wooing to be more like Him, to depend on Him, to fall into Him and let his yoke direct you. The Father's correction is so unlike most we receive here on earth; although I believe it is the standard for all of us to receive and give as we walk in community with other believers.

Also, I was reminded of a talk I heard once by Anne Graham Lotz. She admitted her struggle with the besetting sin of worry. She said often it was a moment by moment laying down of the sin and claiming the promises of God, as she continuously would pick the sin right back up after just praying that God take it.

Hearing her confession helped me understand the struggle is ongoing, in many areas, and requires often a moment to moment dependency on the spirit of God to guard and protect us from sin.

Finally, I realize the importance of biblical community. The Father has never been alone. Since before creation, He partnered with the Holy Spirit and Christ. They were all three there. Similarly, we are called to walk in community with safe individuals who love us enough to journey through the hard places of life even when it gets really ugly.