Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Friday, July 23, 2010

You've Got the Mic!

I need to tell you a brief story. As I finished up the spring Crossings class, I began to pray about continuing the blog. After all, it was an experiment and primarily a vehicle for class members to download their lessons. One night, in the middle of the night (when God speaks to me most often), the idea of a Christian book club came to mind. I had contemplated starting one for several years. I began to put together a list of books for participants to vote upon, and voila!, the idea took root.

After the vote, when overwhelmingly you voted to read Respectable Sins, I had another of those middle of the night thoughts. I thought wouldn’t it be cool if we could actually speak to the author in person. I emailed Navigators Headquarters in Colorado, told them about the blog book club and asked if they might forward my email to Mr. Jerry Bridges or relay a message to him requesting a phone interview sometime during our summer read. I was flabbergasted when I got a reply just a few hours later. A very nice girl said she would relay my email and I would either hear back from her or directly from Mr. Bridges. The next day I got an email from Mr. Bridges giving me his home phone and a day to call to set up an interview!

I have been thrilled! What a confirmation to me to continue the blog and what a treat this will be for you! Mr. Bridges and I spoke briefly the end of June to compare schedules – me having Anna all week last week and he having seven grandchildren this week – setting our interview date for Wednesday, July 28.

Now… yikes! The interview is looming and I have not a clue what to ask him. I am desperate for your advice. What should I ask him? What are your questions for him? Book bloggers, you’ve got the blog mic, so take it way and tell me what you want to know. I need to email him a partial list of questions this weekend, so comment please!

Isn’t this ridiculous – God answers my prayer, grants an interview and I’m totally tongue-tied!

5 comments:

Lesley said...

I'll have to think about the questions. Here's my answers to the study questions. Please please please other people post - i'm so encouraged by your answers.

1. To what kind of …in verse 1 Jesus is telling parables to his disciples, it’s possible this is some subset of disciples.

2. What convicted you? I felt that the author was too narrow in his application of the sin of pride. Any time we judge ourselves to be better/stronger/faster/smarter/kinder/wiser than anyone else we are guilty of pride because we have compared ourselves to someone else and found them wanting, and found ourselves “righteous.” Self righteousness is expressed as pride. I struggle with this sin more than any other and have an acute awareness of the damage it’s done and still does in my life. I think I’m a better driver, a better parent, a better spouse, a better employee, etc. etc. Whenever I think that, it’s saying I think you are a lesser driver, parent, spouse, employee, etc. And I definitely feel contempt growing for those I’ve judged as lacking. I’ve re-resolved to address this issue in my thoughts and my behavior and to continue to work on this area after the book study is done.

Re doctrine: The more I study the more I realize I don’t know and the more humble I feel. I have been blessed to study and be involved in groups on both sides of the Armenian/Calvin and Protestant/Catholic arguments, and find true seeking hearts and faithful believers on all sides.

3. What is the root of our selfishness? If we could only manage to overcome godlessness, we wouldn’t have room in our hearts, minds, and souls for pride or selfishness or anything else.

Lesley said...

4. Your conversations…No no no, I spent all my elementary years in the corner or with my nose in a circle on the blackboard for talking. It’s a major part of my personality from my birth. That doesn’t make it OK, it’s still sinful to be so involved in myself. But it’s so incredibly hard to overcome. Awareness is the only ammunition – and books and studies like this renew my nearly-dead commitment to that. Although as usual I’m continuing to post my answers… 

5. What do your … reveal?
I think most Christians in America believe that they “give” to the poor/widows/orphans because they pay taxes, and many Christians support more government programs as the way to perform Christ’s commands in this area. I truly do not mean to start a political discussion but we must know that the government is NOT the Body of Christ and whatever taxes we pay and whatever function the government takes on (and whatever you think it should take on) does not absolve us of our responsibility to act through and as the Body.

I have a very limited ability to act outside my own home in charitable ways, and have felt very deficient in the area of serving others, but I have recently found something I can do to help. I do this super-couponing via my computer, and make one trip a week to the three stores within walking distance of my house. I get lots of supplies that I can then drop off at the HAP box at church, for a very low amount of money spent.

6. How are you dealing with them? remind myself “their plans are as important as mine” and “God has a plan working out for them right now” when I’m tempted to frustration and impatience.

7. Do you fully believe … your heart will be more clean…?Oh yeah, if it survives!

Shay Brannon said...

Wow, Suzanne! What a BIG interview coming. Will be praying for you. I'm with you. What to ask?? Just some thoughts:

*Does the pursuit for holiness become more intense and difficult the longer we are believers?

*What encouragement/wisdom could Mr. Bridges give young adults that he wished someone had told him.


*How does Mr. Bridges feel that the "respectable" sins he wrote
about are affecting the church today and their relevance to our culture?

Shay Brannon said...

OOps! My last question should be worded:

How does Mr. Bridges feel that the respectable sins he wrote about are affecting the church today and its relevance to our culture?

Kkelly said...

Oh I feel sure I am too late on this, but I am so thrilled about the interview. I haven't a clue what to ask. Maybe "how in the world can we ever live with ourselves with all this sin in our hearts" but I already know the answer to that one...we can't! We must live with God, not with ourselves...and only then do our selves become more bearable.