Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Judgmentalism and Sins of the Tongue

Remember: Book Club tomorrow, 11:00 am at Starbucks on Governor's Drive.
Bring your book and your thoughts. I can't wait to see you!

We equate our opinions with truth. Jerry Bridges, Respectable Sins

I am so glad Mr. Bridges put this sentence in the very first paragraph of the chapter on judmentalism! It is the turning point for me. If we are opinionated, we often believe our opinions are truth. Because they are our truth. But lined up against the Bible, they often prove to be only our opinions. The question I ask myself is this: ‘Am I entitled to my own opinions?’ If I answer yes, then my rebuttal statement is: ‘Really? I thought you were bought with a price and owned by the Christ.’ It gets me thinking.

I wish Mr. Bridges had gone into more detail over the seemingly trivial matters of judging – judging regarding financial security, children, success, the corporate ladder, physical attractiveness, intelligence, clothes, houses, travel… these are the areas that trip me up. My most helpful verses are:
- And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for God himself is judge. Psalm 50: 6;
- Do not judge or you too will be judged. Matthew 7: 1;
- For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7: 2.

As for the sins of the tongue, the thought that we have to give an account for every careless word we speak is sickening. I’m starting today to keep my speech log (Discussion Question # 5) to identify the kinds of sins of the tongue I most often sin with. I would like to observe what triggers my speech and what causes me to sin so grievously. Then maybe I can ‘nip it in the bud’.

Discussion for Chapters 17 & 19:
1. “Judgmentalism begins,” writes the author, when “we equate our opinions with truth.” Give an example of a personal conviction or preference which has caused you to become judgmental.

2. What position did Paul take concerning the personal convictions of what people ate or special days they observed in Romans 14: 4-5? Why does this passage make you uncomfortable?

3. Which word pictures did James use (see James 3: 1-12) to illustrate the tongue’s powerful and sinful effects? What did he want us to realize?

4. How can we disagree strongly with people who undermine key biblical doctrine, while not committing judgmentalism?

5. For the next several days keep a speech log of what you talk about to your spouse, friends, family and coworkers. If you sin with your tongue, make a note classifying which sin it was – lying, slander, critical speech, harsh words, ridicule, sarcasm or insult. Note: Identifying the sin is the first step toward removing the sin.

6. Share one “take away” that has affected you the most during the previous seven sessions and share why it has been significant in your life.

7. How does “preaching the gospel to yourself” help with sins of judgmentalism?

For August 12:
Read Chapters 13, 18, 20 & 21.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Hey! I hate to miss tomorrow but we have a meeting with Kate's teacher. Also I'm going out of the country for a couple of weeks and will miss the other meeting. I judge that to be unsatisfactory! But perhaps the long flights will give me a bit of time to catch up on my reading, I've fallen behind. You guys have fun getting together tomorrow!