Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lack of Self Control, Envy, Jealousy and Amen

A few years ago I ran across all my report cards from Burton School, Nashville, Tennessee, grades 1 - 8. Almost every one had multiple check marks (not a good thing) next to “Practices Self Control.” I was one to talk in class, ask erroneous questions, pass notes, read a book hidden under my textbook, and not pay attention. The chapter on Lack of Self Control brought back spot-on examples of falling daily to desires, cravings, impulses, emotions and passions of the moment. I may not have thought Mr. Bridges chose the best examples of judgmentalism, but he nailed self control!

With his story about the ice cream, I really liked how Mr. Bridges just said “no” to himself for the sheer purpose of keeping that desire under control. Have you ever done that? Recently? And over what? Let’s do it this week as homework and say “no” just because we can to a Starbucks, or the book we just have to have, or relaying a juicy bit of gossip that we know first, or a new top, or having the last word or the latest gadget. And let’s hear some final feedback as we read these last chapters and seek to end well. Lesley, we’ve missed your comments the last two weeks and hope to hear some final words from you when you get home. Thanks to Madelyn, Annewhite, Shay, Michelle, Kristi, Sylvia, Anne, Linda, Pam, Lee, Sydna, and others out there who have stayed with us till the end. I know you have been blessed by God's tender care.

It seems in every chapter Mr. Bridges gives us new thoughts and solid examples. Yet, as a solution he consistently turns our repentant hearts toward a stronger trust in the sovereignty of God and a deeper reliance on work of the Holy Spirit. Bit by bit, I’ve surrendered some of my own thoughts, opinions, actions, and attitudes. Have you? With what?

And here’s something I’ve learned… I think I’ve had judgmentalism mixed up with envy all long. It took going back to the exact definitions of each to get it straight. My thinking has been inaccurate resulting in blurred lines between envy, judgmentalism, and jealousy. What I thought was one, actually was the other, and what I thought was the other, wasn’t. Sorry, it makes sense to me. I praise God and thank Jerry Bridges for setting me straight. Not that I haven’t been judgmental – I have. It’s just that in some key situations where I’ve labeled myself as judging, I’ve actually been outright envious. Especially, as Mr. Bridges puts it, with whom I most closely identify and in areas I value most. Whew!

A few more questions for you… if you had to say the one “respectable sin” that sent you reeling this summer, what would it be? I told you from the first that I’m a bottom-line girl. In June I just knew it would be judgmentalism, but clearly nothing has blindsided, burned, convicted, and humbled me like the sin of discontent. That is my take-away. On page 75 when he talks about disappointments handled by resignation done grudgingly – well, I saw myself so clearly it hurt. It still hurts and could bring me to tears, but, thankfully, also to my knees.

Are you glad you read Respectable Sins? Why or why not? I am. I’m so grateful to all of you for reading it with me. Admittedly, half way through I was overwhelmed and sin-sick. But through Jerry Bridges’ patient and loving reminders of the nature of God, I felt God’s hand guiding me through each of my individual subtle sins to the acknowledgment, the confession, the repentance, the hope. I call it the summer of my discontent, meaning the summer I saw and dealt with the sin of discontent. But, I have ended the summer in content.

We make it our aim to please Him. II Cor. 5: 9

Dear Book Club bloggers, I will miss you as August fades into September and we return to our commitments. It has been a joy to pull away with you. Please check in from time to time and let me hear what God is doing in your lives.

We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us. I Thessalonians 2: 8

2 comments:

Shay Brannon said...

Have loved this cyber book club and have loved the face-to-face meetings at Starbucks. I really feel I've traveled alongside my fellow sisters as these respectable sins have been exposed in my life. At times this summer, I felt sick to my stomach as Mr. Bridges gave an actual name and clear definition to a sin I needed to face. But I'm thankful that the Holy Spirit enabled me to trudge on and keep reading and keep asking forgivness. At the end of this study, I feel a little more at peace and lighter actually! To receive forgiveness is such a grace gift from God.

It's hard to draw it down to just one "take-away" moment from this study. There are so many! Probably the biggest impact came from the chapter on the Weeds of Anger. That chapter in my book is covered in highlight pen. I was shocked to realize I had a resentment and grudge problem and that my resentment continually was directed at the same people. Mr. Bridges defines this as ANGER. I would never have described myself as an angry person! Mr. Bridges wrote that anger, held onto, not only is sin, but it is spiritually dangerous. I'm thankful for the very practical steps that Mr. Bridges gives in this chapter on how to deal with my anger.

For me, the most important quote in the book that sums up my sin and how it affects my God is from this same chapter on Weeds of Anger on page 137. "Regardless of how moral and spiritual we have been, the debt of our sin is enormous. The damage to God's glory by our sin is determined not by the severity of our sin but by the value of God's glory."

Enjoyed this time with you all!!

Sylvia Sullivan said...

This book club has been such a blessing to me this summer. Being remembered and invited to join in the read this summer made me feel, so special. My Alabama friends are truly my sisters-in-Christ, who have inspired and grown me spiritually. I thank God always for you!
I would say my "take away" from Mr. Bridges book is Chapter 19, Sins of the Tongue. Wow! As soon as I finished reading the book, I pulled out my Bible and my commentary - printed out a list and have been reading and meditating on all scriptures that contain the word "tongue." I was also focused on the thought of the weeds. I am realizing that it ALL goes back to my heart. I'm ashamed to see the untruths that have been lying in my heart. Also, "GRACE" has taken on a new meaning in my mind and hopefully, I am beginning to "give grace" instead of just receiving it. This was a marvelous and yes, LOVING study. I say Loving because overall I am realizng how much God Loves ALL OF US! Thanks again for including me. I will be interested to follow the Fall study, ponder what you all are discussing and hopefully learn a little more myself.
Grateful for the time spent this summer. Love - Sylvia