Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Today we come to the darkest day, the hardest day of the year in our Christian heritage. And it's called 'Good'? I always think the day should stormy and black and thunderous.

For those of us who have just completed Beth Moore's study, The Patriarchs, I want to revisit a point she makes in the last several lessons and again in her closing lecture. She has been teaching us that God can take our worst and, through Christ, redeem it and make it good. We've learned that amidst the rubble in our lives, God has buried some treasures, and in seeking Him we will find them. Treasures in rubble. I know this is not verbatim, but I wrote this down from her last lecture... 'God can take one string of something terrible and tie it with something wonderful, and once connected, He redeems the whole strand'. What a Biblical principle! Thank you, Beth Moore, for this lesson.

At the cross, our very worst meets God's very best. At the cross God took a string of all things terrible (all of our sins) and tied them to something wonderful (a sinless perfect Savior willing to become our sin and die with our sin), and once those two strings were connected (at the cross as Jesus said, "It is finished.") the whole strand becomes good. Those who believe are redeemed, saved, connected, made righteous, granted eternal life!

'Good' Friday? Oh yes, it's good alright! It's almost too good to be true. But it is true. Amidst the rubble of the cross we find the buried treasure of salvation. And so much more. Oh, Glory! We can never out-learn the cross.

I wonder if you, like me, are doing this today - off and on all day in the sanctuary of your heart reflecing on the cross. It's hard, but it's good. I want us to find every treasure buried there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Suzanne! I never realized Joshua was waiting on the mountain with Moses or that he stayed in the Tent of Meeting when Moses left! You have been a Moses in my life - showing me how a woman with a husband, kids, and job can and must also be a Woman of the Word.