Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Facing Up to the Truth

The acceptable sins are subtle in the sense that they deceive us into thinking they are not so bad, or not thinking of them as sins, or even worse, not thinking about them at all! Respectable Sins, Chapter 3

I am deceived! I have found out in three short chapters that I am a victim and product of the softening of sin in our culture and in our churches. I promise you, I never once considered impatience a sin - along with several others Mr. Bridges mentions as illustrations. Yet, in the middle of chapter 3, when he suggests we may want to throw the book across the room, I hugged mine tighter. There is something about coming to grips with sins which have previously deceived me.

Something welled up within me – I can’t explain it, but I got, like, fighty, feisty… both arms up, ready for a good karate kick. All in my mind’s eye of course. I thought if Holy God is willing to reveal my hidden sins to me, then I’m ready to open my eyes and see what is hideous and poisonous inside me. If I see, I pray I’ll be just as ready to fight to get long standing ingrained sins to DIE. I’ve taken on a deep inner commitment to get them routed out.

But, I know myself pretty well. I get pumped for the fight and then give out well before the battle is won. I often have a strong start and a weak finish. With Respectable Sins I need prayer and I need you. Without you, this would just be another book to read, be convicted, and put it back on the shelf. Let’s not do that. Let’s encourage each other and keep each other strong for the fight. At the end of this, let’s be able to say, with God’s lead and God’s power, we broke down sin’s stronghold and drove the thing out!

Instructions: Here’s how we will study together this week: Print off the following discussion segment. Answer the questions and choose which questions you would like to comment on. You are welcome to comment on the blog, in fact please do. For those of you who are resistant, this week you may email me your comments. Over the weekend I’ll compile our discussion points, using no names, and post for everyone to read. Unless we have good discussion our book club will fall flat. I am dying to hear what you are thinking as you are reading!

As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 17: 17

Discussion:
1. I’m such a bottom-line girl. Review your notes from each chapter and write the one thing in each chapter that spoke to your heart.

2. From Chapter 3… Now, here is the unvarnished truth that we need to lay to heart. Even though our hearts have been renewed, even though we have been freed from the absolute dominion of sin, even though God’s Holy Spirit dwells within our bodies, this principle of sin still lurks within us and wages war against our souls. It is the failure to recognize the awful reality of this truth that provides the fertile soil in which our “respectable“ or “acceptable” sins grow and flourish.Based on this statement, what is the condition of the soil of your heart?
What “respectable” might you be tolerating in your life?

3. What do James 1: 14-15 and 2: 10-11 reveal about the root of our sinful actions? About God’s law and the consequences of breaking it?

4. Even though God always makes a decisive change in every believer’s heart, what does every believer face when he or she seeks to live in obedience to God? (See Galatians 5: 17 and James 1: 14.)

5. Beginning today, start a list of every “acceptable” sin God brings to mind.

6. Write a brief prayer to God about sin’s lure and impact in your life – and your desire for Him to help you stand strong in the face of temptation.

For July 1:
1. Read Chapters 4, 5, 6

2. Answer this as you read:
What does God use to convict us of our sins – including our selfishness and judgmental attitudes? (See 2 Timothy 3: 16.)

Let me end with a quote from the Editors of the Discussion Guide…
Oh, and one more thing. Have fun! Sure, it’s a serious topic. And yes, you have a serious responsibility. But inhale, exhale, relax and enjoy the experience. Approach your preparation as well as each group session with a positive, expectant spirit. Do you very best and leave the results to God. (Tip: That’s when the fun really starts!)

I can hardly wait to hear what you are thinking!

10 comments:

Shay Brannon said...

What a needed book in my life right now! It's really "dove-tailing" some other things I'm currently studying and things I'm planning on studying soon. I decided to answer "publicly" question 1 and 5!

1. One thing in each chapter:
Chapter 1: Saints-State of being. Already a done deal. So act like I already am!

Chapter 2: pg. 19. VERY convicting. "The church, on the whole, appear to be more concerned about the sins of society than we are about the sins of the saints." Ugh. Guilty as charged.

Chapter 3: This chapter really showed me some new words to describe my sin. When I started looking at this list, it put my sin in a new perspective. Saying sin is wrong sounds so vague. These words described my sin more clearly: vile, ugly, odious, spiteful, poisonous, cosmic treason, despising God and His law.

Question 5: A list of acceptable sins that God brought to mind. My written list is also made up of the ones that Bridges suggested. These are just ones that he didn't name. A disclaimer. :) Not necessarily sins I'm guilty of!!

*Lure of momentary pleasure (in the book)
*Pride in an organized life, judgement on those that aren't.
*Laziness. Wasting precious time.
*Procrastination.
*Giving my opinion too readily.
*Meanness.
*Overscheduling.
*Wanting too much "me" time.
*Suspect reading materials.

Anonymous said...

great book! thought it would be to "intellectual" for me to enjoy, but I was so wrong.

1. One thing in each chapter: if i can stick to just one.

chp 1: A saint is- every believer that has been sanctified by the HSpirit, not about a person's character like I always thought.

chp 2: sin has disappeared and softened in our churches, sermons...we r quick to condemn the "big" sins while ignoring the "accepted" ones, quick to condemn others while ignoring our own!! uugg.

chp 3: my fav- sin "metastasizes" just like cancer into all areas of our lives. They can start small and "acceptable" but turn into big-time ones. In my own words, "a storm starts with a drop of rain."
Also, sin lurks within us and wages war in our souls every day b/c of our humanness. In God's eyes, sin is sin. to us some are more serious but for God, it's all the same...(my brain has such a hard time with this)

2. Condition of the soil in my heart? plowed up and ready to recieve the conviction of the Spirit (ouch)
and desire to work on my own sins (shooo-wee)

3. The root of our sinful actions? our flesh, human sinful nature. God's law? we keep whole law and break one portion of it-we break all of it. When we break God's law by sinning we are despising God himself (ouch!)

4. All believers are TEMPTED!

5. list of my acceptable sins:

* words that hurt others
*judgement of others
*not serving the least of these as often as I should
*resentment of other believers that aren't active in their faith
*pride
*overscheduling of "good deeds"

These chpts have made me want to fall on my knees and repent for sure. But remembering the good news, God forgives! Oh that I can forgive as often as He does.

Michelle V said...

I finally recieved my book after waiting and waiting and waiting. So grateful for the authors writing style. Clear, concise and to the point.

I am going to also answer questions 1 and 5 - due to time constraints.

1. From each chapter
Chapter 1 - the guerrilla warfare between flesh and Spirit fought daily in the heart of every Christian. So often I feel like I am alone in this fight.. everyone else seems to have it all together. Also in parenting helping my children as they wage war with their flesh nature thru discipling and disciplining. Now I know why I am so tired at the end of each day and why there is the constant battle!

chapter 2 - My attitude toward sin is relected in my prayers. OUCH!! What is my attitude toward sin and How is that reflected in my prayers? When I enter into the presence of God - am I aware of my sinfulness? How often is confession - deep confession a part of my prayers?

Chapter 3 - The effects of sin - not only on myself (the cancer) but on others and on God. I don't often consider how my sin effects God.. esp those "acceptable" sins. How it grieves Him, how it is rebellion against His sovereign authority. That it is heinous in His sight.

5. I am making a list of those "acceptable" sins in the back of my book... as well as a list of idols in my life. Here are a few:

Unbelief - A BIGGIE!
Impatience - Yikes - Never thought of that as a sin till Jerry Bridges repeatedly mentioned it.
Complaining
Self Pity
Resentment - often times towards those closest
Critical Heart


Lord - only by your grace and strength can any of these be overcome. You are able to be victorious. I hate what these sins do to me and to those closest to me. I desires to live as one seperated unto you!

MIchelle V said...

OK...is irritability a sin? I'm still debating the whole impatience being a sin thing...:-) I think we should take a vote.

KKelly said...

1. From each chapter:
Chapter 1: We neither think of ourselves as saints nor of (many of) our actions as sin. This hit home with me. If I felt a better sense of the honor and privilege it is to be a child of God, then I could probably better remember not to poorly reflect this honor by sinning. But too often I take this privilege for granted. :(

Chapter 2: Sin is sin, even the so-called "acceptable sins of the saints". Ugh!

Chapter 3: We are acting out all of our sin before Him as He sits on His royal throne. I mean, even though this is obvious, it is still so totally embarrassing, right?!

2. I'm ready!

4. Temptations are so difficult, and even recognizing temptation can be especially hard...

5. Being too critical
Getting my priorities out of
line
Anxiety
Trying to control issues
instead of letting God take
control
Dear God, please guide me to better understand the places in my life where I am tempted, where I can better focus on what you would have me do to glorify you. Please help me control my thoughts and therefore my actions so that I may reflect actions becoming of a saint.

KKelly said...

Well maybe impatience is debatable but the awful way I act, plus the scary voice (and words) that come barking out of my mouth when I get impatient certainly pile onto the list of sins realllly quickly. This is such a vivid reminder that I am wondering now if there is any room left in me for the Holy Spirit to squeeze in after all the sins I have hiding in there in various places? I am very thankful we are moving on to the next chapters where Bridges promises the good news. I am ready for that!

Kim Johnson said...

I've been weighing the words of these chapters in my mind over the past several days and have not made the time to write...for good reason. I was feeling such a burden of how my sin was a cancer or even a stumbling block to others. I was going over all my "respectable" sins and being upset that I was giving those sins as an inheritance to my children. But I was missing the biggest message of all by not realizing that my sin is an affront to my Almighty God first and foremost - I was sinning by not putting him first! I was sinning and didn't even realize it. I was putting myself and others before my precious Lord and Saviour. Once again I am ever grateful for the saving grace of Jesus and his forgiveness. I'm thankful that He is faithful in all things and is convicting us of sin that separate us from the freedom He so desires us to live in.

Pam Graves said...

The most impacting truths for me in this week's reading was from chapter one. First, we have the reminder that as a saint, we walk in a "state of being" rather than "doing". This position in Christ is to manifest itself in our daily life. I tell my kids regularly, "remember who you belong to". If they sin, I remind them, "That's not who we are in Christ."

The next truth is from page 13 when Titus 2:14 and 1 Cor 6:19-20 are referenced. Not only is our position "in Christ" but we are desired, possessed, redeemed, purified, and bought at a price BY THE CREATOR OF ALL HEAVEN AND EARTH. Don't think I could feel more valued than that. What a love gift.

Finally, I was reminded of a nugget of truth, in regard to sin, spoken by Suzanne herself. "Do what is right even if you don't want to and your heart will eventually follow."

Two thoughts from that reminder:

First, that night I realized I had tried all my life to please my parents and then my spouse. Now, for the first time I had the opportunity to please my heavenly father..Abba

Secondly, God has been faithful to change my heart. It is now a love response. Living the Christ life is an worship offering back to Him as a response for His love gift to me.

Lesley Burnette said...

1. Chapter Notes

Chp 1 pg 13: Academy grads being set apart is very expensive, and for only one purpose. My being set apart by God cost Jesus’ life, and is for only one purpose: Christ-like-ness.

Chp 2 pg 19: deflecting our sins outside our church is really the sin of judgementalism. We compare ourselves to others and judge that their sin is worse than ours, and thereby we judge that our sins are not that bad, and with that pronouncement, excuse ourselves.

Chp 3 pg 28: when we rebel against God we are despising His person. Cringe.

2. What I tolerate:
Every single one in the book, in spades. I think the only one I’m even conscious of is gossip, and only because someone close to me gossips a LOT and it makes me more aware of it. But I still gossip. Did it the other day and got called on it, thankfully. And not by a Christian, which really hurts.

3. What James reveals as root:
The sin is IN me, it’s part of me, it’s my nature. Even if Satan no longer existed (what if he never existed at all I wonder?) I would still sin. I think part of the reason I’ve always been frustrated with people assigning so much power to Satan is because, although they are correct, it’s always felt to me like it’s shifting the blame. “The Devil made me do it.” It doesn’t take the Devil to make me do it, I do just fine on my on!

4. What we face:
Conflict! I notice that when I am not involved in a Bible study, not reading, not praying, etc. things are so nice and calm in my mind and spirit. But when I am putting myself in front of the Throne, I feel that conflict and tension. But it’s a “good” tension, and I’m grateful for it. It’s one of the things that assures me of God’s existence and assures me of my salvation and of the Holy Spirit's indwelling.

5. Other acceptable sins of mine:
Yuk. Everything in the book.

Nagging (isn’t that just the way husband and wives, brothers and older sisters are?).

Ordering Wen around instead of “asking with authority.” Somehow I manage to generally talk nicer to Kate.

Not rendering to Caesar (buying online w/o paying taxes, speeding)

Immodesty in dress, speech, entertainment

Gluttony (not just in food, but in possessions)

Sloth (laziness and having free time that I waste).

And I don’t have a name for this, but watching movies/TV and reading books that I wouldn’t want my kids to read/watch (in general that’s my guideline). If it’s not good for them, why is it OK for me?

Thanks to everyone who posted. I admit that hearing you women that I hold up as wonderful examples of Christian womanhood still struggling does two things: encourages me that there's hope, and also discourages me that no matter how much progress God makes in me, I'm going to be dissatisfied!!! But I think that's a good sort of dissatisfaction, the kind that drives us to submit to more sanctification. Blessings to you all.

Courtney Mann said...

I am so happy to keep up with just getting back to the computer..I am a terribly reluctant digial straggler. Yet how right this is. I love the part about these creeping sins, the contra-survival elements we let slip into our lives. I myself resolve to stamp out "reasonableness" when it comes to these for myself and hopefully for my loved ones. Justifications and a frail modern day "culutre" fuel the fire of lack of concern, unkindness, selfishness, and promiscuity in many aspects of our lives. It is not ok with me; it is not what was done for me and what I am meant to do. I will pray for increased awareness and uphold values and virtures...for I've realized that they may never mention it, yet others are influenced by your setting a good example. Good Lesson!