Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Monday, June 14, 2010

One Year Ago in June

I can’t believe I’m going to write this. I have heart palpitations just signing in to the blog. Here goes…

One year ago this month I surrendered a house. There. Said it. You have to understand that all of my married life I’ve wanted a new house – a dream house. I couldn’t tell you where it was or what it looked like, but I knew that I would know when I one day walked into it. Never did. Over the years in my mind and heart it grew bigger and bigger until it was more than a house – it was a dream, an adventure, an obsession – an idol.

Last May, as I was wrapping up the BSF study of Moses, I began to think of the difference in Moses from earlier in his life to the end of his life. I love Deuteronomy! Take a look at Deut. 3. Moses was begging God to let him go into the Promised Land. Here’s what God said to him… "That is enough," the LORD said. "Do not speak to me anymore about this matter.”

I had been begging God for a house for so long I can’t count the years. And when I read these verses God said the same thing to me… enough!

I compared the begging Moses to Moses in Deut. 33 & 34 and found that Moses died sweetly satisfied and at perfect peace with God. He never did get to go into the Promised Land, but at some point he got over it. I began to think God wanted me to just get over it. So I balked, vented, cried, expounded all my reasons again, and then one day in June 2009 I just gave it up. Surrendered it. Once and for all. Told God, ‘Okay, you are right, enough is enough. I’m going to move past it, never pray for it again and never bend Your ear about 'the house'. I’m going to trust You know best.’ And just like that it was gone. I tell you the truth, my heart felt as light as a feather. I can honestly say in the last year I’ve looked at houses, admired them, been happy for others, but my obsession is gone. I’ve never prayed about it again, never been distraught, angry or eaten up with it. Gone. Done. Over. Free.

Since the surrender I’ve begun to like my real house. I thought you might enjoy some pictures. I feel comfortable taking pics because it’s actually clean, the lawn is freshly mowed and the hydrangeas are in full bloom – having a party will do that, you know.


If you come see me, and please do, come to my back door.



and this is my own private den (used to be a bedroom – this is what empty nest gets you) where I have my quiet time…







when I’m not having it here…













A year later,
surrender feels good.
From my house to yours,
have a blessed day!

4 comments:

Shay Brannon said...

Can I move in??? I LOVE your home and especially the people that live there!!! Thanks for sharing this. Miss you!!

Susan Long said...

Suzanne, your yard is so lush and your house so warm and inviting. It would be a treat to visit you sometime. Thanks for sharing your family pictures--your grand-daughter is a little doll!

Anonymous said...

I'm just now getting back on the blog. i've missed it. Your home is beautiful sister! You don't need a "house" you have a "home"! a house is just a building--but a home is a sanctuary...you already have that!
Let's have the last Book Club meeting at your HOME (with coffee)!!

Blogger said...

Love it! Looks so inviting and cozy :)