Come with me by yourselves to quiet place... Mark 6:31

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rahab Revisted

May I just speak to the Tuesday-night girls for a minute? I love coming on Tuesday nights and it’s summer and we have on sandals and capris and there is an eagerness to see what God has for us! I love how when we get to personal things like our lifelines and stones of remembrance, you all don’t run out of the church! I love how God is planting new seeds, new thoughts, and we’ve advanced from our ‘crossings’ to now understanding that we must be prepared for battle. Who wants to talk about battle!? Even last night, one of you said to me that you were ready to settle sin. That sends me through the roof rejoicing! When we are at that place, the place of wanting to face our sin, God is working big-time! I love our class and I love you!

Excuse my giddiness and the insane number of exclamation points – it’s 4:00 in the morning. I know what is wrong with me. Everytime I teach about Rahab I get very little sleep. The love of God keeps waking me up. I will not be able to shut these eyes until I have a few moments on my knees talking to Him about way back when, when He rescued a young immature selfish college girl out of a pit of despair.

Here’s what I want to say one more time about Rahab. It may have seemed to us that Joshua sent the spies in to Jericho to get military information, but really God sent them in to get Rahab. Joshua didn’t have to have a lot more information in order to attack Jericho. He was going no matter what. The whole reason for the mission was for one woman. God had been preparing her heart. She had heard of Him and she had believed in Him. Now he rescues her from death. He gives her confirmation to her faith, safety, a home with His people, and best of all; He gives her a place of honor in the ancestry of Jesus Christ. Don’t miss Matthew 1 – Rahab married one of the Israelites, a man named Salmon from the tribe of Judah. They had a son, Boaz, who married Ruth and Ruth and Boaz had Obed. Obed had Jesse, who was the father of King David.

Rahab reminds us of the Samaritan woman. Jesus went into Samaria and took that route that day for one reason – one woman. I keep thinking of when I came to Christ my junior year in college. The ways Jesus went out of His way just for me. Don’t let this lesson get past you until you have a few moments with Him revisiting how He went out of His way just for you.

No comments: